Friday, 15 January 2016

1st Project, 57ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne

So onto my first project that will be blogged. I have decided to paint up the 57ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne. This regiment was present at Borodino, 1812 and was part of the 5th Infantry Division. From what I have read in the Osprey book on Borodino, 1812 it appears the 57ème Ligne had 5 battalions with 4 light guns attached.

However, I only fancy painting the 57ème Ligne with  3 battalions. In total this will amount to 108 infantry with 18 officers, plus 12 voltigeurs and 1 colonel so a total of  roughly 140 figures to paint. I know Perry Miniatures sell the plastic boxed sets and I think they are a fantastic idea for someone to build up large armies relatively cheaply but having tried the plastics I have decided to stick with the metal figures. I have already bought the first two battalions of figures and have started taking the flash off them and priming them. 

The figures will all be in the march attack pose and the 1st and 2nd battalions will wear the bardin regulation coats, the 3rd battalions will wear grey greatcoats and should I paint a 4th and 5th battalion beige greatcoats. I believe a fellow painter (Bryce Allen perhaps) used a similar pattern when painting Napoleonic Russians and I quite like the idea as it gives variety and hopefully the greatcoats speed up the project.

I will only be using Games Workshop paints as they are all I have ever used and I will post step-by-steps guides on how I paint items of clothing, equipment, skin tones etc. The figures will also be based using the Renedra bases Perry Miniatures Supply.

Below is a graphic of how I envision this project when completed. The next post (allowing for sunlight in the UK) will contain a few pictures of the progress made so far. 








No comments:

Post a Comment